Who We Are
Risk experts with peerless experience and proficiency? That’s us.
For compelling, competitive insurance programs, it’s not about the name behind the coverage.
It’s about the people who write the coverage. Full stop.
At risksmith, we’ve assembled a team of underwriting talent with decades of experience conquering the most formidable insurance challenges. And by “conquering,” we mean crafting flexible, specialized coverages that target a full range of exposures. No “i” undotted. No “t” uncrossed.
Our risksmiths are your secret weapon. Meet us, learn about us, and put us to work.
Say hello to your experts-in-residence.
Founder and CEO
- Lloyd’s of London Coverholder and Authorized Underwriter on Lloyd’s Delegated Authorities since 2012
- Former Construction President at Technical Risk Underwriters (TRU), a $75M premium MGA focused on US construction business under the banner of a large, Chicago-based international specialty insurance organization
Prior to his role with TRU, Ryan entered the insurance sector as Vice President of Finance and M&A for Beecher Carlson, a private-equity backed commercial insurance broker. After two years at Beecher, Ryan began a four-year stint as the Managing Director of OnPoint Underwriting, a startup that grew into a $50M premium MGA under the same corporate umbrella.
Ryan also spent seven years in various financial, operational, and corporate development roles at two Atlanta-based public companies. Off the clock, he enjoys being Jenna’s husband and Dad to his son, Brady, and daughter, Neve. He also enters the occasional bicycle race.
President of Inland Marine
- Since 1999, Chadd has played an integral role in founding, growing, and driving profitability for Inland Marine Underwriting units at four US specialty carriers.
- Recognized expert in the Homebuilder sector with over 20 of the top 50 US homebuilders as part of his portfolio
Coming off a five-year role as Vice President of Underwriting for a large, New York-based international specialty insurance organization, Chadd brings unparalleled experience in US construction, transportation, and property coverages to risksmith.
Over the last decade, Chadd has assumed leadership roles with three US insurance carriers. His accomplishments include establishing broad-based, profit-focused Inland Marine underwriting operations.
An avid golfer and bowler, Chadd’s resume includes nine “300” games. He enjoys watching his children, Quintin and Kailey, grow up and spending summers with his beautiful wife, Melissa, touring with the Dave Matthews Band.
Executive Vice President – Personal/Commercial Lines
- Former President of Florida-based MGA, John Handel & Associates
- Numerous highly visible industry roles including as President of the Florida Surplus Lines Association
Lorna began her E&S career with John Handel & Associates, where she served increasingly influential roles as the company’s CFO, EVP of Underwriting, and President. During those eight years of leadership, she scaled the agency to one of the most well-known and profitable Florida underwriting operations. In 2015, the MGA was acquired by Johnson & Johnson Insurance Agency where she continued as Vice President of Sales and Marketing for Florida.
Lorna served as the FSLA President from 2015-2017, and she has been on the Boards of both the Florida Surplus Lines Association and the Florida Surplus Lines Service Office (FSLSO) since 2005.
When she allows herself to stop thinking about insurance, Lorna enjoys cooking, traveling, reading, and spending time with her newly adopted puppy Maggie.
Associate Vice President – Specialty Lines
- Ann has 25+ Years Property & Inland Marine Underwriting experience both Ground Up and Shared/Layered Programs of all size portfolios.
Prior to Joining Risksmith, Ann successfully managed profitable Mono-line Property and Marine books at various Admitted and Specialty Lines Carriers. Ann has a proven track record of helping her brokers solve their coverage problems while balancing her focus between Underwriting and Customer Service.
An avid photographer, when Ann is not off trekking her way through her list of countries and sights to be photographed, she enjoys cooking, reading and catering to the whims of the Kittens of Destruction, Syrah and Merlot.
McLarens Executive General Adjuster
- 30+ years of experience with commercial property adjustment, investigations, and settling first-party property claims
- Expert in managing residential and commercial property losses arising from various perils
Before joining Mclarens in 2017, Mike served as a Regional General Adjuster for the Property Division of the Hanover Insurance Group. Earlier in Mike’s career, he held the same position at Travelers. For 7 years, Mike was Vice President of the Aveo Consulting Group, which focused on insurance consulting, appraisals, and valuations.
Mike’s team approach, which includes risksmith colleagues and preferred industry vendors, ensures prompt delivery, timely claims, accuracy, and efficiency.
McLarens National General Adjuster
- Since 1999, Scott has managed small and complex claims, specializing in large property and construction claims.
- Nearly two decades of experience estimating, building, and negotiating commercial, residential, construction, manufacturing, agricultural, and farm losses
An expert in delicate claim situations, Scott has worked with leading, US-based insurance carriers as a multi-line adjuster. He has managed large property and construction claims involving fire, water, theft, wind, hail and vandalism.
When he’s not investigating claims, Scott enjoys honing his building skills. He’s experienced with a diverse array of building tasks, including excavation and finish carpentry.